Frigid Trickster

Category: , , , , , , , , By IS



I caught myself wondering out loud this morning, "How does that bird stay warm?" Listening to one on a light pole while it let out deep series of “Rupp…Ruup…Rupp” sounds, intrigued me...surely, this ice cold bird should make a higher-pitched sound than that. Five seconds went by and another quietly returned the call from a distance. The raven's poofy black feathers help it conserve energy, but I don't know how its toothpick-sized legs stay warm at temperatures reaching -40 F.

A few bits of trivia about the not-so Common Raven (corvus corax):
· A grouping is properly described as an “unkindness” instead of a "flock"
· First migrated to Alaska 2 million years ago across the Bering land bridge
· Have one of the largest brains of any bird species
· Known for their problem solving skills and intelligence (for birds)
· Are capable of imitating sounds from their environment, including the human voice
· Will lead predatory animals to food, waiting for them to rip the carcass open for easier scavenging
· Participate in horseplay as juveniles, even playing catch-me-if-you-can with wolves and dogs

Wiki Link: Common Raven

I’ve always thought of ravens as having a death or ill omen-related notion about them. Poe’s poem "The Raven" comes to mind (where a distraught lover mourning the death of his lover is taunted by a raven repeating one word – nevermore) is a good example of my cultural bias. Eventually the poor fellow comes to the conclusion that the bird has trapped his soul within its shadow.

Wiki Link: The Raven (poem)
Link to the full poem here

While the morbid symbolism of the Raven generally holds true in the European/American culture, the birds traditionally hold pull higher rank in colder regions like Alaska, Siberia, and Scandinavia. Norse mythology held that two ravens sat on the god Odin’s shoulders, informing him of the goings on throughout the world. The artic Inuit culture considered the raven both a creator of the world and a cunning trickster. Another North American indigenous culture believed that the bird, tired of its own world (a bit of truth...it came over prehistorically from Asia after all), flew from the heavens with a stone in its mouth…eventually dropping it and creating the planet we now live on.

Wiki Link: The Raven in Popular Culture
Wiki Link: The Raven in Mythology


After Thought: The trickster/mischievous nature of the raven reminds me of stories about The Coyote, a Native American mythological creature, read to me as a child. Some of these tales are hilarious, and I suggest them for further reading on the trickster archetype.

Wiki Link: The Coyote
Wiki Link: the infamous Wile E. Coyote

 

7 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous 02 February, 2008
    I am now convinced that i need to have a raven for a pet. I wonder if the base and/or my room mate would mind me having a giant, squawking, pooping bird on premises. Maybe if i taught him to sing frank sinatra tunes he would be tolerated. I'm taking suggestions for my raven's name. Igor perhaps?
  2. Anonymous 02 February, 2008
    So how does the Raven's feet stay warm?
  3. IS 02 February, 2008
    I asked one...its answer, alas, was "nevermore".
  4. Mindi 02 February, 2008
    Interestingly enough, your fine feathered friend in the arctic north has a naturally dulcet alto call that differentiates it from its' southern relatives:

    Super Duper Wiki Link

    "The species has a distinctive, deep, hollow pruk-pruk-pruk call, which to experienced listeners is unlike that of any other corvid. Its very wide and complex vocabulary includes a high, knocking toc-toc-toc, a dry, grating kraa, a low guttural rattle and some calls of an almost musical nature."

    Be that as it may, I prefer the chaotic tones of my 'Arctic Monkeys' to your arctic ravens...

    Wiki Link!!
  5. Chris Bolmeier 01 March, 2008
    Hey IS,
    Your are extremely deep, I can hang with that. I notice you like Joe Zawinul, Jazz, Guitar, Midi, in your profile. Would you record a couple songs for me (if you play guitar) and send me the files. I love Tuck Andress, Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, Phoebe Snow, Robben Ford,. let me know
    Chris
  6. Stevend 30 January, 2010
    I read a book in which a wizard with a bad sense of humor named his raven "Quoth." I thought it was a great name!
  7. Stevend 30 January, 2010
    I look just like the guy in the drawing. Same hair and everything. Also one of my spirit animals is the raven.

Something to say?

Powered By Blogger